View Robb Walsh's top 100 - personal in a larger map

Friday, July 30, 2010

Dehydration and frustration


I'd taken this trip out on Westheimer to eat some delicious food and also to visit Planet Zero anime center to play a few Japanese arcade games. Up to the end of smash burger all had gone well.

Despite it being roasting outside I'd decided to wear jeans since I planned on heading to a couple of places I didn't feel comfortable wearing basketball shorts to. I'd looked on google maps and it only looked to be a mile from Kasra to planet zero and the two places on the list right next door to it, Brocante and Rioja. Unfortunately in a double headed blow I lost the scrap of paper with the addresses and had misread the google maps scale. With all the zooming I must have looked at the scale bar at one level of zoom, saw it was a mile then assumed the bar was still a mile one level out. Regardless I walked way more than a mile and didn't see it. Not suprising since it's a 2 1/2 mile walk. I tracked down a payphone to ring the lady friend to check the address for me. No answer.

It was 2pm, absolutely boiling. I walked half a mile backwards incase I missed it. Then turned around again and walked the half mile back to the payphone. This time she picked up. I got the address and walked the last mile to Planet zero. I got there cursing my jeans and my stupidity for writing the address on such a tiny slip of paper. For the record it's well worth heading out there if you fancy an afternoon of arcade fun. The prices for the machines, especially the puzzle games and driving games I spent my time on are really reasonable and the staff were great.

When I left I walked down to Brocante. The dishes on Robb's list from there were nice and light and seemed doable to my heat wrecked body unlike a bowl of paella (I'm going to head back next week for that!). I got there and looked at the menu but neither of Robb's recommendations were available. I knew damn well that Georges Guy would send something incredible my way but I wasn't in the right frame of mind and thought I'd come back another day with the ladyfriend as a treat. I'm not giving Brocante the yellow mark since it has a small, continually shifting menu reflecting what produce is available and especially good at that moment (it's the way I think all restaurants should be although it would make a project like mine all but impossible).

No comments:

Post a Comment