View Robb Walsh's top 100 - personal in a larger map

Monday, August 2, 2010

Dish 18 - #87 Deviled Eggs at Nielsen's Deli




Sunday was a great day. I miss the Houston weather a lot and it was great to wander around and enjoy the sun and swaddling heat.

We took the bus up Richmond at got off at Nielsen's deli to try the deviled eggs. There was a minor panic as the incredibly friendly guy behind the counter told me they were out. He clearly noticed a pained look on my face, or perhaps I let out a little groan, because no sooner had he said that than he nipped through to the back, only to reappear bearing the glad tidings that they could have a few more ready almost immediately. I ordered a couple and the lady got a dixie cup of potato salad. Good as the eggs were the potato salad had it beat. I've made my own mayonaise a fair few times and have whipped up a few awesome potato salads in my time but few that lived up to this. Creamy mayonaise, perfectly cooked potato and fantastic seasoning. Make sure you don't pass this by if you're heading there!

We sat that the bar in the window and ate. The fudge balls in the counter had not escaped my attention when we ordered and I finally caved. I walked back up to the counter to buy one and had a chat with the guy who'd taken our order earlier. I thanked him for sorting the eggs and told him it was well worth the bus ride and to expect me again soon. He reached into the case and pulled out a couple of bottles of water and a fudge ball saying "I know it's hot out there today,. Here you go, on the house". The food here was great and the staff exceptional. These are the businesses that people need to treasure and support. Both for the good of their tastebuds and communities and to avoid drowning in a sea of Subways and Starbucks.

The fudgeball was awesome by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment