View Robb Walsh's top 100 - personal in a larger map

Friday, August 6, 2010

Dish 24 - #40 Indian Borsch at Indika






For lunch we met up with a couple of friends and headed to Indika. It's their favourite restaurant in the city so I'd been waiting to eat there until they could join us. I was still pretty stuffed from the monster breakfast I ate a few hours earlier. The Lady felt more up to lunch though since, unlike I, she doesn't have deep seated need to clear every morsel from her plate. I ordered just a bowl of the soup, and, eventually the chocolate ginger tart with sesame crust and coffee ice cream which the pair of us split for desert. She got the preset special. They also brought out small complimentary starters and cookies as always.

I didn't restrict myself to the soup though, I at least tried every one of the dishes served to the pair of us. A fair few I ate a full half of. I've eaten a lot of Indian food in my life. This was certainly the most interesting, absolutely the most delicate and refined and quite probably the best. It's one of the best meals I've ever eaten. Every dish was subtle, suprising and superbly complex. It was obvious that every single item on the menu had been incredibly well thought out by someone with a deep understanding of their craft.

The soup was especially outstanding as was chocolate ginger tart. Some of the foods I sampled were incredibly delicately flavoured. The soup wasn't. It was as complex and interesting as everything else but also as bold and vibrant in taste as it is in colour. It was the best part of a truly exceptional.

No comments:

Post a Comment