View Robb Walsh's top 100 - personal in a larger map

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Dish 29 - #21 Goat Buttermilk and Pecan Pie with San Leon Rum Ice Cream at Haven






For our last evening we went just a little way down the road to Haven. Robb chose the buttermilk pecan pie for the list but we had a full meal. It was restaurant week so I ordered from that menu: Jumbo Lump Crab Cake with Squash Blossom Sauce, Charred Corn Relish to start followed by Akaushi Steak, New Potatoes, 1015 Onion, Leeks, Mushrooms, Red Wine Demi with Coconut Tres Leches Bread Pudding,
Dulce de Leche Sauce, Meringue, Toasted Coconut to finish. She shared the crab cake then ordered the summer squash with quinoa and the buttermilk pecan pie which we split along with my desert.

There were some real high points and a few disappointments. The brioche that was brought out first was really good, the crab cake was good and the steak was awesome. The lady's main was really, really good. Texture, seasoning, everything about it was spot on.

On the other hand the potatoes weren't so good. They were a little underdone and the seasoning could have been better. It was the deserts that were the real let down though. Those who know me know I will always, always, always clear my plate when it's desert time. It's rare I don't eat every scrap of a savoury course but I always eat my pudding. The coconut tres leches bread pudding was so bad though that I left half of it. It was exceptionally dense and gluey and the taste was bland. The topping was good though. After that we tucked into the pie. It was much, much better than the other but if I'm honest it was probably my least favourite of all the dishes I've had from the list. The pecans were good; mid way between chewy and crunchy, the ice cream was superb although not quite as good as Hank's. The crust was pretty poor though, dry and bland, and there wasn't enough of the buttermilk filling for the taste to really come through.

I guess we just turned up on an off day for desert. Perhaps we'll go back some time and give it another shot. It's a bit of a shame that the last dish from the list of this trip was the least good. I've eaten some amazing things over the last few weeks though. The dishes from Hugo's, Indika, Feast and Ninfa's were among the very best I've ever had. There were a bunch of others were just as fine too. It was an amazing few weeks food and I can't wait for the next time I get to come back to town. I'm really excited about having some more of the delicousness contained in the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment