View Robb Walsh's top 100 - personal in a larger map

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Dish 20 - #16 Enchiladas de Tejas at Molina's




The girlfriend's work had Molina's in to cater for them yesterday. I smelled an opportunity to snag another meal from the list without the need to travel too far! Not only were they OK with bringing along an order of Enchilada de Tejas, with the other food, they said they'd put it in free of charge! Score! I'd been given a free fudge ball and water the day before but this is the first item from list I've got free of charge. I guess it's likely to be the last too but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The enchiladas were certainly good. As a Texan speciality and a very tasty one at that they certainly deserve their place on the list. Personally I prefer enchiladas verdes though. I thought the beans were the best part of the plate. They were extremely smooth and pleasantly rich.

It would have been foolhardy of me not to sample the other Molina's fare on offer. The grilled chicken was incredibly juicy and the cookies were good (I preferred the chocolate chip to the heavily spiced oatmeal and the semi-legendary pecan praline) but to me the standout item was the pico de gallo. It's such a simple dish that the tinniest thing matters. It's made fresh every day and depends heavily on the quality of the ingredients available. I suspect if I tried it today it would taste subtly different. Yesterday though all the stars were alligned. It was sublime!

At the end of the day I had:
eaten 18 / 100 dishes (20/100 including non-available dishes)
spent $172 (including tips)
travelled 165 miles (112 by car, 13 on foot, 28 by bus, 12 by bike)

No comments:

Post a Comment