View Robb Walsh's top 100 - personal in a larger map

Friday, August 6, 2010

Dish 23 - #55 Catfish and Grits at the Breakfast Klub




Yesterday the lady took the day off work. We seized the opportunity to visit the Breakfast Klub without weekend sized waits. We turned up a little after 9 and there was only one person ahead of us in the queue. It got busier as we ate though and people were just about out the door as we left. That's nothing compared to the twice round the block moster lines I have seen though.

I wanted the catfish, grits and poached eggs from the list, I'm a huge fan of biscuits so that rounded out my order. The lady fancied cheese grits, hash brown and a biscuit. She was told it'd be cheaper to get one of the meals that came with a meat and those things. We went with that and I took the bacon she ended up with. I was happy I did, it's not a classic pairing for nothing!

The catfish was the best I've had. I'd say it shared a skillet with the bacon because there was a definitely meaty taste to the crust, especially on one side of the piece. The grits too were outstanding and the eggs perfectly cooked with a great runny yolk. The biscuit was disappointing though. It wasn't all that flavourful, didn't have a great crust and it seemed a little too airy. The rest was truly outstanding though.

I couldn't eat like that for breakfast often. I felt like I needed a nap when we left. That wasn't on the cards though. We had a trip around a few Montrose thrift stores (I got a hardback Doris Lessing novel and an awesome Lodge cast iron cornbread pan in need of a little tlc) before lunch...

No comments:

Post a Comment